Readers and reading groups are invited to discuss the topics below relating to the material presented in this issue. Send answers to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be eligible for a complimentary copy of Volume Two of The Summerset Review. All questions must be answered and received by March 1, 2009.
Include your name, town, state, and country (if outside the USA) in your entry. The editors will decide the winner(s) and send out notification when the new issue is released. We plan to announce the names of those who are awarded free copies, so if you do not want your name to appear in the journal, please let us know. Postal and email addresses of all entrants will not be published, circulated, or archived.
1. Are you a hiker? If so, relate an experience you had to those in "Across the Chilkoot." If you are not a hiker, was there anything in this essay that made you think about strapping on the boots one day?
2. Do you think many of the individual sections of the story "Trespassing" work on their own? Discuss the effect of stringing these short sections together to make a longer story, as was done here.
3. What are the characteristics of a glazed girl in "Where the Glazed Girls Go"?
4. Discuss the use of the hearts in the trunk as metaphor in "Hearts Half Off."
5. Do you think "Body of Work" follows more of a traditional storyline than a contemporary one? If so, what are the differences between these two types of storytelling.